Traditional sailing on a budget with Atlantic Clipper’s little sister!
Like the idea of a younger crowd but overwhelmed at the prospect of 50+ people? Constructed semi locally in Tasmania in 1994, New Horizon is a wooden schooner operating two day/two night adventures around The Whitsunday Islands and encourages piracy traineeships on board. After an interior refit in 2013, New Horizon is complete with a dive board (to walk the plank if required!), water slide, air conditioning in all cabins, and a large deck to make the most of the sunshine!
New Horizon departs on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 2:00pm and returns to port on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Mondays at 11:30am. At a comfortable 97ft, this boat carries a maximum of 32 people – large enough for stability, but still small enough to get to know all of your fellow travellers!
One of the last timber tall ships left in our region, New Horizon has a range of added freebies on board like stand up paddle boards, a movie theatre area, the waterslide and of course the dive plank – so effectively travellers on board can do as much or as little as they like.
Inclusions on this vessel:
- All marine park fees and taxes
- All meals including breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- All snorkelling equipment and wetsuits/stinger suits
- A hands on sailing experience
- All bed linen and blankets
- Stand up paddle boards
- Use of the water slide and dive board
- Move theatre on deck
- Share single bunk (dorm style)
- Share double bunk (dorm style, twin share)
- Please note that New Horizon only offers shared accommodation with no private cabins. If you are not comfortable in a social atmosphere then this won’t be the vessel for you.
New Horizon has on board diving instructors and compressors on every trip complete with dive gear – so no need to meet with another vessel for a rendezvous dive! This activity is available to first timers or certified divers. All can be booked and paid for directly on board the boat, and rates are as following:
- 1st Dive - $60
- 2nd Dive - $50
Tea and coffee
Selection of breads
Selection of honey, jam marmalade, vegemite and peanut butter
Tropical fresh fruit platters
Toasted muesli, cornflakes
Selection of cold meats
Homemade pesto pasta salad
Tuna and sweet corn salad
Selection of cheeses and crackers
Fresh baked crusty rolls and wraps
Dinner - Day One
Oven baked hake served with herb and lemon dressing on a bed of creamy mashed potatoes
Homemade crunchy coleslaw
Fresh Aussie damper and rolls
Dinner - Day Two
Papa Steve’s famous Spaghetti Bolognaise, cheese and a crunchy salad
Freshly made garlic bread
Aussie hot dogs with cheddar cheese and onions
Chips, dips and cheeses
Please this is a sample of menu and is subject to change and amendments. Dietary requirements can be accommodated if we are notified at the time of booking.
Does New Horizon tickle your fancy? This boat fills weeks in advance, so contact us on 1800 550 751 to check availability and get the latest rates!
What To Bring
Please only bring a small soft overnight bag without any zippers (ie. a re-usable shopping). A zipless souvenir bag can be purchased at the boat's check-in office for a few dollars. Ensure you pack clothes, a hat, swim-wear, beach towel, sunscreen 30+, warm pullover for the evenings (seasonal) and cash/card for on board purchases. Feel free to bring on board a reusable water bottle and/or additional snacks. You will also need to bring your own alcoholic beverages, available for purchase in town. No glass bottles please.
Excess luggage can be stored at several places in town including most boat check-in offices, a 24 hour locker shop on The Esplanade, most hostels, or at your accommodation. Most charge between $5-10pp for the duration of your trip
Skipper, crew, drinking water, meals, linen, wetsuit hire, snorkelling equipment, mega slide, use of SUP boards and all Marine Park fees.
BYO alcohol (no glass) and scuba diving. Soft drinks, chips and chocolate available for purchase on board.
Jet boat rides and banana boat rides can be purchased at an additional cost. These optional extras can be decided on and paid for on board:
- Jet boat ride is $35pp
- Banana boat ride is $20pp
New Horizon offers onboard scuba diving for both certified divers and those without experience/qualification. All diving can be decided on and paid for on board.
- 1st dive is $60
- 2nd dive is $50
*Please Note: Diving is temporarily suspended on New Horizon. We are currently waiting to confirm return dates with the operators, thank you for your patience.
Your safety in the water is our primary concern. To ensure your comfort and safety divers must be 18 years or over and they will require that you have a Divers Medical Certificate for certain medical conditions.
Please read the following questions carefully:
- Do you currently have an ear infection?
- Do you have a history of ear disease, hearing loss or problems with balance?
- Do you have a history of ear or sinus surgery?
- Are you currently suffering from a cold, congestion, sinusitis or bronchitis?
- Do you have a history of respiratory problems, severe attack of hayfever or allergies, or lung disease?
- Have you had a collapsed lung (pneumothorax) or history of chest surgery?
- Do you have active asthma or history of emphysema or tuberculosis?
- Are you currently taking medication that carries a warning about any impairment of your physical or mental abilities?
- Do you have behavioral health problems or a nervous system disorder?
- Are you or could you be pregnant?
- Do you have a history of colostomy?
- Do you have a history of heart disease or heart attack, heart surgery or blood vessel surgery?
- Do you have a history of high blood pressure, angina, or take medication to control blood pressure?
- Are you over 45 and have a family history of heart attack or stroke?
- Do you have a history of bleeding or other blood disorders?
- Do you have a history of diabetes?
- Do you have a history of seizures, blackouts or fainting, convulsions or epilepsy or take medications to prevent them?
- Do you have a history of back, arm or leg problems following an injury, fracture or surgery?
- Do you have a history of fear of closed or open spaces or panic attacks (claustrophobia or agoraphobia)?
If any of these conditions apply to you, you will require a Divers Medical Certificate before you can scuba dive.
A Divers Medical Certificate can be obtained from:
Whitsunday Doctors Service
257 Shute Harbour Rd (Opposite xBase)
Ph: 07 4946 6241
Terms and Conditions
All departures and itineraries are subject to weather. Tours may be changed or cancelled for any reason at the discretion of the Tour Operator. It should be noted that adventure travel involves risk. Whilst we make every effort to safeguard clients, we cannot be responsible for personal injury or loss due to actions of our clients which are beyond our control. We recommend that all clients have travel insurance covering illness, injury, loss or damage to personal belongings and not being able to travel on the confirmed date of departure. Please be aware operators pass on credit card merchant fees so there is a non-refundable 2.5% surcharge for VISA and MASTERCARD card purchases.
Please advise us before booking if any passengers are under 18 years old to ensure this is the appropriate trip. Also please note that you need to allow time prior to the boats departure to check in, please ask us for more details.
All cancellations made result in 25% cancellation fee of the recommended retail price (RRP), not discounted or sale prices. Any cancellations made 60-30 days prior to travel will result in a 50% cancellation fee and any cancellations made inside of 30 days to departure will result in forfeit of full trip fees. If the sailing company has to cancel the trip (prior to the boat's departure) and we cannot offer a suitable alternative, then a refund will be given minus card fees. We strongly recommend that you have travel insurance, especially during the wet season.
Please note it is the responsibility of ALL passengers travelling to advise both your travel agent at the time of booking and vessel check-in agent before boarding of ANY medical conditions including food allergies you may suffer from.
Thank you for booking with Mr Travel/Sailing Whitsundays. If you would like any advice or assistance in arranging accommodation, transfers or additional tours, please do not hesitate to contact us.